Monday, January 14, 2008

And miles to go before I sleep

The last few nights have been rough. 

Omar was away this weekend and as soon as he closed the door Friday Helena started to cry. Lauren spent the night so I would have some help if I needed it, and I needed it! Helena woke up multiple times during the night and not only to feed, but for other things - like gas - which I didn't catch because I was SO tired. After many attempts to get her to sleep, I finally woke Lauren up at 6:00 am to help. She fell asleep for Lauren and stayed asleep until I woke her up for her next feeding.

Saturday night she slept well, which was a good thing for Gayle who spent the night so I would have help. Thank goodness Helena let me sleep because last night she didn't.

The night started off well, but around 4:00 am Helena kept waking up. I had just fed her 30 minutes before and we got a good burp out of her, so gas and hunger were ruled out. I thought that she wanted to be held, which did get her to fall asleep, but as soon as I put her down and got back under the covers she was off and crying again. After about 4 tries I woke Omar up. He figured out the problem - she had another wet diaper. After that she slept until her next feeding when she started crying again - 15 minutes of sleep.

Omar went back to work today and I finally got some sleep this afternoon - 2 whole hours! I couldn't imagine doing this and going to work. I couldn't imagine going back to work after 6 weeks either. It's going to take the whole time I'm home to get into a rhythm - just to shake it up again when I go to work and she goes to daycare - but that's another posting.

2 comments:

Cindylou said...

Don't worry, you will get there with a routine...and it will happen before you go back to work. :)

Love you!

xoxo,
C

Unknown said...

These early weeks are HARD. Hang in there!