Sunday, September 23, 2012

Playing Catch (Up)



Last November I decided to do the Day Zero Project - 101 things to do in 1,001 days. I've been slow in my to-do list, and even slower in updating this blog as I complete them. So, I figured I'd would update everyone on what I've completed since the last blog entry about me completing something.
 
Health
2. Get a massage
In May, I suffered from a huge panic attack (at least that's what I'm calling it since the doctors didn't know what happened and it felt more like a heart attack than a panic attack to me). The next day I was told by my coworkers to stay home, take it easy and take care of myself. For almost six months I had been working six of seven days a week between my Marketing job and Mary Kay, so when faced with a whole day of nothing to do I didn't know what to do with myself.
I went to the mall that day to walk around and do some retail therapy (which really I didn't need to be doing since much of my stress came from making my bill payments). While there I decided to take some of that money and get a massage. It was great and I'm sure I would have gotten more out of it if I went to a Massage Envy verses the little shop inside the mall. That said, I'm glad I did that for myself and could really use another one right now.


Travel/Outings

35. Go on a beach vacation
My daughter is obsessed with "Beach Houses." OBSESSED. I don't know where she learned about them, but she was talking about them all the time for a few months. So, I decided this summer we were going to get a "beach house" (it was really a condo by the beach, and come to find out that she considers ANY house with a pool a beach house). What started out as a trip for me, my mom and sister to visit one of my cousins and her kids at the beach turned into a family reunion for my mother's side of the family. It was a lot of fun, and a lot of lessons learned (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - oh and don't try to keep up with the Lambooys). I'm thinking this is something we might do again next year, although I'm now saving up to take her to Disney World...maybe everyone would like to meet there next year.

Projects

40. Sew Helena's Halloween costume
OK, it looks like I'm not going to be sewing Helena's Halloween costume this year. However, I did sew a Pirate costume for her classes Pirate Day this summer. I had no pattern and a limited budget, so I went to Micheal's and bought some black and white cotton head scarves. I cut those into strips and sewed them together. These are perfect because they are already hemmed so I didn't have to deal with hemming (the most time consuming of the sewing part of things). I then made a pocket at the top of the skirt and snaked the elastic and it was finished. I paired it with a white shirt she already owned and some scrap red sequin fabric for her head and sash on her skirt. Funny thing? She turned out to be the only one in her class actually dressed up that day...

Her Dad put her in the Captain Morgan pose...
I thought it was hilarious!

Self improvement/Well Being

51. Spend an entire day outside
Almost every year since I've moved back to Maryland I've attended the Maryland Renaissance Festival. I've gone with different groups of friends, with and without my daughter, and in modern day clothes and costume.


This year I went with my friend Amy, sans Helena and in Renaissance Festival inspired modern day dress. I got there at 11:30 am and left around 5:30 am...as full of a day as I've had outside in a LONG time. It was great to be outside all day (and not burn). No schedule really, just enjoying the FALL air listening to some music, and just chilling. Must spend the day outside again!



Community/Environment/Random Acts of Kindness

80. Donate 2 boxes or bags of my things to charity
In the process of decluttering my house, I have donated at least 3 boxes of clothes (two more ready to go out). I have also given away a number of baby items to people on Freecycle. I think Freecycle is nationwide, but basically people in Silver Spring post things they want or are giving away and other people message them to say they want or have those items. It's been great to help other people in my community.


Fun for the Sake of Fun
89. Spend an entire day in my Pjs reading books and eating only junk food
One of the things I obsessed about once things were getting down to the wire with my divorce was my living room. I had no real living room furniture and it bugged me. I wanted an "grown-up" living room where I could read a book or chill with friends or entertain. I finally bought a living room set (I did end up using credit) at ValueCity. My housemate and I then spent the first Saturday that I had the furniture in our PJs, reading books, eating junk food, and drinking...I think it was wine, but can't remember.


It was great! I had forgotten how much I love reading and now I feel the need to read more. I actually bought four books a month ago and read all four of them. Also makes me wonder if I should get a Kindle...but that might be bad.

91. Swim in the ocean
See #35. 

98. Learn Archery (with Oliver Queen would be a plus)
Little known fact: my cousin Kim learned to use a bow and arrow at camp when she was four. Yep, you read that correctly. My cousin learned archery at camp when she was four and I learned that she knew this when she is 20. Ack! She's 20?!


Back to the story...I had mentioned on Facebook about my list and Kim said she could teach me archery. So this summer, while Helena was with her dad for the weekend, I went up to my Aunt's house and Kim taught me how to use a bow and arrow. I hit the target a few times, wore out both my arms...and LOVED it! About two weeks later I went to the Virginia Renaissance Festival and went straight to the archery booth - and hit a bulls eye. Now of course my arrow didn't hit the target hard enough to stay in it...but my friend Patrick and his daughter (I think Sara was looking) saw me hit it so there's proof!

No comments: