Friday, March 7, 2008

The Final Countdown

This week starts the countdown to me going back to work. We were lucky that our daycare set it up so we could transition Helena into daycare. So, beginning on Monday, Helena has been going to daycare - a little more each day. This has been great for Helena and me - mostly me. 

I think I've been handling it well. 

Wednesday I even went into work for a meeting without crying as I crossed the American Legion bridge. Well, I didn't cry on the way there. I think it was a combination of being tired and rush hour that I didn't have time to look in my rearview mirror and see the empty car seat base that she usually occupies. On the way home, in little traffic, I looked back there to see the empty base and started crying.

Thursday I got a little sad as I spent the morning at home alone. Then I went and got an eyebrow wax. That helped for an hour. Then I called the daycare and got to hear about her day and Miss Carola also helped me by saying I was going to see her in 3 short hours.

Today was different. It's her first full day and I was missing her before 10:00 am. I called Aunt Esther to talk and started driving to the mall to go shopping. Then I realized I needed to pump and turned around and went home. Pumping helped me not miss her as much. Then I remembered we recorded Lost so I watched that and then tried again to get to the mall. Now I'm blogging and watching The Daily Show

So, I guess I'm good as long as I keep busy, or watch TV - now I know how stay at home moms with kids in school can become coach potatoes.

Next week I transition back into work.  I'm nervous about being away from her for so long - 7:00 am - 6:30 pm on a good day. So, starting Wednesday I add some hours until I have a full day away on Friday. And that's a blog for next week.

No comments: