Sunday, August 24, 2008

Spoon Full of Sugar

Helena has started to baby babble. It started with "ba" - which worked great for Ba Ba Black Sheep. She loves that song and somedays i nthe car I can hear her even singing along.

Next came "mama" - and she meant it! Omar had just come home from his two week reserve duty and took over the nighttime routine so I could relax. Then I hear "mama" and then and even louder "MAMA." As soon as I went into the bathroom to see what was going on, she stood up in the tub and reached for me. She did this again when he was putting her in the crib. She stared right at me and said "mama." Over the last few weeks she's gotten bored with saying "mama" and moved on.

Yesterday and this morning I noticed her making these "heh" sounds. I thought this was a weird progression in her vocabulary, until I started doing my vocal exercises in the car on the way to work this morning. They are all use "Hey" - which sometimes come out "Heh" because I forget to but the "ay" on there.

I laughed and thought, " Man, I really need to talk to her more in the car on the way home each day instead of doing vocal exercises."

And since my voice teacher wants me to talk with an English accent so I get used to lifting my soft pallete, Helena will get Mary Poppins mommy in the car. Win-win.

No comments: